11 March 2014

Soundscapers Drumming & Didgeridoo Soundbath

image
It’s not often that I write about enlightened experiences that don’t involve a great beverage as well, but after spending an evening with Josh Fonseca of Soundscape Drumming I couldn’t resist sharing my experience.



Josh led our group in a really fun drum circle, and while I did play drums in high school, this was way better.  To lose yourself in the drumming and group dynamic was not only a musical experience but a spiritual one as well.  Josh had a lot of great insight about how the vibrations of the drums and the experience of a drum circle can have a profound effect on your psyche and I’ll admit he’s right.



First off it was simply fun watching how the rhythms of our group morphed and changed as the circle progressed, but more importantly, for that hour in time, I thought about nothing but playing the drums.  No work stress, no to-do lists…just pure rhythmical fun.



As if that were not enough fun, Josh performed a sound bath for our group.  This meditative process involves chimes, a singing bowl, a drum and a Didgeridoo.  If you’re not familiar with this instrument, check out the video below.  The Didgeridoo has an amazing tone and vibration and the feeling you get as Josh passes the Didgeridoo around you literally leaves you bathed in sound.



In the end, the invigorating drum circle and amazing sound bath are a combination that is difficult to describe.  I was amazed at how much I enjoyed the drum circle and sound bath and I’d recommend you try it out for yourself.



Josh and Soundscapers Drumming are based in Rhode Island and they do a number of events, performances and even children’s programs.  You can check out their Facebook page here, their YouTube video here and more about Josh here..



I personally want to thank Josh for opening my eyes to this great experience and sharing his talent and knowledge with our group.

0 comments:

Post a Comment